Pages

Tuesday 16 July 2013

My Education



In life, I am content to dispense with overly metaphysical wondering. All I need is to ask myself whether or not a certain activity is useful. If it is, then I do it. If it is not, then I desist. Beyond that my weak brain cannot muster another step. This attitude is inherent in my personality, I think. Thus, when I filed No Win No Fee whiplash claims, I was not surprised when the only consideration I asked myself was purely that of utility.

Should I file No Win No Fee whiplash claims? It was useful to receive compensation. Thus I did it. Should I hire a lawyer? Again, the same answer and the same action. Should I work hard in collecting testimonials and witnesses? No difference in my reply. And so on. What is not useful, as I saw while thinking about my claims, was to just sit around doing nothing while my neck injury was every day becoming worse and my injurer smugly falling into complaisance. I don’t understand that. What is the use of strutting around the person you injured just because he has not filed a case against something you know you did wrong? It is beyond me.

Eventually, I did receive my compensation. As a last farewell to that horrible experience, I went beyond myself and attempted to just distill from the whole thing what learning could be useful for me. On the bright side, I learned quite a number of good things. First, people can be kind to you if you do not approach them aggressively. Lawyers, too, are just the victims of stereotypes. They are not ambitious and profit-oriented monsters. At their best, they are their clients’ guardians. At their worst, however, they are their clients’ own devils, their partners in a cannibal relationship. Money is not always good to have. In fact, sometimes it gets in the way of happiness. On the dark side, I saw that people are not always impelled by reason when they go to court. There are times when they are merely driven by passion or jealousy or mere intent to annoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment