Pages

Sunday 2 June 2013

Making Things Simple

My policy in life and the one which I adopted when I demanded No Win No Fee claims is one of simplicity. That is to say, I refrain from making things more complicated than they should be. You could call me the personification of Ockham’s razor. Or that I worship as a credo Einstein’s injunction to make things simple, but not simpler. I don’t know why I am possessed with this inflexible partiality for making things easy and straight to the point, but that’s how it is.

Hence, you can understand why I am piqued by my No Win No Fee lawyer. For although I understand that the law is an open-ended subject, that its contours cannot be determined with precision because it deals with the variegated outlines of life itself, that this is so true that even more astute lawyers than he had failed in taming its wild fits of uncontrollable jargon, blah blah blah; I still could not reconcile myself to the tardiness of my case.

It seemed to me that he was using the sophistication and complexity of the law to retard my case, to apply them for no other reason than as a dilatory measure, in order for him to fleece and milk me more. Let this post be a warning to all such lawyers: claimants are not as moronic as you take them to be! We may not be privy to the technical understanding of the law, but that does not mean that we can never understand even just an iota or particle of its substance. The mere fact that statues and laws are written in plain English should have made you more circumspect. Yes, laws can only be deciphered by those who are aware of precedents, hearings, civil procedure, and jargon, but laymen have access to these things too, not by themselves, but by asking other, more honest and noble and generous men of the bar!

That there exist such people as I have mentioned I can verify based on my own experience. For as I was wringing my hair in despair, I fortunately came across one. I promptly retrieved my papers from my previous solicitor, slammed the door, and signed a new lawyer, and slept like a babe.

4 comments:

  1. Well no win no fee claims is also a simple matter. If a solicitor accepts your case under this agreement then maybe your case is that strong that they are confident of winning it. Thus they will get paid after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A no win no fee claim wouldn't be difficult at all if you were really not at fault. And if the evidence shows that it is due to the negligence of the defendant that the accident did happen, well there wouldn't be a problem collecting compensations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is easy for you to say but if you were in my shoes, with the accident I went through, me and my solicitor fought hard to win my no win no fee claim. Because there weren't any witnesses on my car accident, we struggle to find evidences that points the other party at fault.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky for you that you are able to make things so simple. I don't have that kind of attitude in me. I always try to look at the "what ifs" of every no win no fee claim I ever encounter.

    ReplyDelete